I have experience across dispute resolution and litigation generally, with a particular focus in construction. My construction arbitration experience includes both pursuing and defending claims for delay / disruption, defects, loss of profits and outstanding works, among other things. Apart from dispute resolution, I am often involved in contract drafting and advisory work. My work has also included advising on Hong Kong competition law.
Construction Contentious Experience
- Acted for a sub-contractor in a sub-sub-contract dispute involving back-to-back and pay-when-paid clauses, with the disputed sum up to HK$7 million.
- Acted for an employer, a Hong Kong government body, in successfully defending a claim by its main contractor for extension of time and loss and expense of up to HK$71 million.
- Acted for HKEx-listed main contractors in defending High Court actions relating to copyright infringement in engineering drawings.
- Acted for an involved party in the Commission of Inquiry into the Construction Works at and near the Hung Hom Station Extension under the Shatin to Central Link Project.
- Acted for an overseas DBO contractor in its multi-billion dollar arbitration against the Hong Kong government arising from the design, construction and operation of a waste management plant.
Construction Non-contentious Experience
- Advised various developers, contractors and statutory bodies on contractual drafting issues, including advice on works contracts and JV agreements.
- Advised a major contractor in Hong Kong on competition law concerns raised by frontline staff throughout the organisation.
- Prepared and presented competition law training materials for various parties in the construction industry, including contractors and trade associations, as well as for major multinational enterprises in other sectors.
- Acted for a construction industry regulator in prosecuting summonses in the Magistrates’ Court.
- Advised various Hong Kong and multinational organisations on employment related matters including benefits and leave entitlements, termination and secondment.